Mar 9, 2014

Jesus > Religion Chapter 2

This chapter was a great discussion and look into brokenness and Jesus's ability to heal this as well as how Jesus should be presented to those who truly need to hear the love story of Jesus. 

  1. Jeff describes the brokenness he saw as an RA at his college but he only saw it when the individuals reached their breaking points, were very drunk, or even tried to commit suicide. What drives us to keep our brokenness hidden from others, and what does that cost?
    1. I know what drives me to hide my hurts, brokenness, and past is my pride. I do not want to be seen as weak, broken, damaged, etc. I want to be seen as a successful, strong, healthy, wise woman ready to help the world. Hiding this costs me so much. I do not even share my brokenness with even my strongest Christian friends who, I know, would be directed by God to encourage, love, and assist me. The cost is great. I try to manage my pain and hurts without truly giving it to God. The stress builds and I look back at all I am as a person which is disgusting and could not see how people can love me. It is selfish, prideful, but painful. Thinking this over it softens my heart to those who may brag or hide their life story and seem overly put-together, those who would at first seem annoying truly need love too. 
  2. Jeff writes "My generation is the most fatherless and insecure generation that's ever lived, ans we are willing to sacrifice everything if we can just be told we are loved." Do you agree with this assessment?
    1. Yes! I could go on about the influences on the media but even in the home life we are told to get good grades, punished if not, behave and be rewarded or punished if not. In some families I can see where the child has to be amazing at something (school or a talent) in order to get attention. If the child can not find his or her amazing attention grabbing skill then the second best way to get the attention from their parents is through trouble. It is sad to think that attention, though negative is sought after because attention is better than nothing. Love is portrayed in families, in media, in our sinful hearts, as a reward for being good and doing something special. 
    2. I am so thankful for my parents where actions and hard-work is achieved but we were and are loved for simply trying and being passionate about it. We were encouraged and blessed to be given many opportunities to develop ourselves for our sake and not to please and gain love from our parents. I have noticed in the past and currently how often friends, myself included, would go through a store, a magazine and compare the model to themselves. To gain attention of other is to some how feel loved even though it is fleeting and not a long term love.
  3. Why do you think Christianity's essence has devolved to "hates gays, cant drink beer, and no tattoos" in the minds of so many? Is this the result of the institutional church, individual Christians, or something else.
    1. I do not truly know, I think there is a mix of all three parties involved in this mindset. First individual Christians may be lazy and simply follow the idea and theology of an institutional church. However Satan probably knew that the best way to prevent people from coming to Christ is to make them believe the opposite of what Christ stands for...love. Satan was probably at work modelling some of the ideas of the institutional church as well as individual Christians into being lazy in exploring the real, personal aspects of who Jesus and God are. Some individual Christians are content with going to church once a week and that is all the "exploration" they have of God. So many viewpoints, messages, true meanings of who Jesus is are missed. So I think ultimately Satan was at work and impact not only those who are not Christians but Christians themselves (me included.)
  4. How has the Christian faith been more about good advice rather than good news in your experience?
    1. The bible has always been presented as a guide book to me. "Use the bible to answer tough life questions. Here is a verse for this problem or this emotion or for this event." THis is not bad at all and I think the bible should be used as such but we must remember how each applies to the sacrifice Jesus made for everyone. I think many people consider the bible as a moral code to follow. Idk how it has gotten to the point other than the marketing and superficial focus on the ten commandments... 
  5. If relationship with Jesus is the new law, how does that influence your understanding of rules or expectations within the Christian faith communities? Does it shift your understanding about an external code?
    1. I love hearing sermons and realizing that some pastors are not simply stating rules to live by but how the good news fits in with an issue. This shows that expectations are not hard guidelines of you must complete a laundry list of tasks but another support for Jesus's love for us and His plan for our lives. The external code is not important for me or anyone newly excepting Christ. In fact I would simply encourage a new Christian to read through the gospel and create a list of who Jesus is based on his actions, his presentation of love, his words etc. not on what a Christian should do but who they are believing in and to be able to describe who Jesus is. I feel like seeing who Jesus is, the love He has for everyone, and the acceptance of everyone will only motivate him or her to dive in deeper into who Jesus and God really are and only grow their faith stronger. 
    2. When I was younger and talking to friends about Christ I use to think that they would need to change multiple aspects of their life to be a follower of Jesus. That is not the case any more! as described above.
  6. Jeff claims he hates any system that promotes moral behavior as only way to have a proper relationship with God
    1. I agree, kinda as I stated above. God, Jesus, and the Bible is not a moral code to be accepted. Only believing in Him would lead to being one with God and the Holy Spirit. By promoting moral behavior, there is a growth in the feeling of righteousness, pride, and accomplishment for DOING things right. That is not a relationship. 
  7. How is Jesus portrayed in the Gospels different from the Jesus promoted by religion?
    1. That depends on what religion you learn about Jesus from. I have seen Jesus portrayed as a fire and brimstone man to the other extreme as my friend and home-boy Jesus. To me, after reading through the gospels, see's Jesus as a man of integrity, truth, love, patience, hope and peace. A man who is not just a friend but a father-figure ready to guide but his love on me is not determined by my actions. I truly believed Jesus loved Judas and was sad and heart-broken by his actions but still loved him for Judas was still God's creation. I think what amazes me is that...Jesus had every right to cut down and talk terribly about Judas and his actions against him, however Jesus was most vocal and brutal to the priests, pharisees and other righteous prideful individuals. 
  8. If God doesnt want rule-followers, what does he expect from us as believers in Jesus?
    1. I think he expects our heart and our time. Our attention on Him so that he can teach us, love us and help us. Just like ANY relationship, time and an open heart will only grow the relationship stronger. How to do that is your personal choice. I have realized that it varies greatly from person to person.
I think the picture of the Egg above is true. Brokenness, though painful, is what truly is used for the Glory of God. Without being able to truly see and feel the love and purpose of God's ultimate sacrifice how can we help and explain how God heals other's brokenness? Rules wont help, Jeff in his book tried that for six months, covering and numbing the pain only lasts but so long as seen through Jeff's college peers, and putting other's down only increases the pain they feel. God's ultimate blessing (GRACE) is seen and felt through acceptance and loving of the broken person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment