Mar 5, 2014

Jesus > Religion Chapter 1

My (now) fiance are going through this book title Jesus > Religion (Jesus is greater than religion) by Jefferson Bethke. SO far, he reminds me of Francis Chan and Crazy Love. I loved that book and the thoughts/beliefs/methodology that guides him.

This blog post and those that follow with this title are my answers to the study questions after each chapter for my fiance and I to read and discover electronically. He is answering the same questions on his blog 

I have yet to read his blog until I finish this post for fairness so I am uncertain on how he has introduced, written, or even answered the questions...We have such different writing personalities in general so enjoy our differences, discoveries, and any similarities you find!

Note: all of these answers are opinions and that they are my thoughts and I do not claim any of these thoughts to be 100% accurate, 100% applies to everyone etc.


  1.  The author (Jeff) opens the book with this statement "My true religion was just moralism dressed in Christian clothes," What do you think he means by that and where do you see things in your life where you might see this?
    1. Jeff is saying that what he "believed was a guide book to what is right and what is wrong in terms of actions and what you can do. Dressed in Christian clothes is Jeff claiming (or claimed) the title of Chrisitanity to say his views on what is right and what is wrong came from a popular source. The focus was on actions and doing what was right, correct, and good.
    2. This was pretty much my life growing up. Being a church child and growing up in the church "doing good" and "being the good church girl" was a focus and goal to reach. Sunday school lessons were on not lying, being nice to friends, the ten commandments etc. My parents pushed us to church. I still see evidence of this dressed up distorted moralism when I think about friends who say they are christian not going to church, or my need to have a quite time with God not to enjoy my time with God but to just check off a spot on the list of things I have to do. 
  2. How has Christianity been the default option for you in your life? (aka how is Chrisitianity a safety net for you?)
    1. Two reasons: Christian parents and Southern Bible Belt. EVERYONE is a Christian and if you were not kids popular or not will ostracize you and try to tell you how you are going to hell. Me personally was because my parents were, however, looking back, people simply assumed. I did accept Christ at a young age and rededicated my life to Christ with a fresh perspective on him and my sin my sophomore year of high school. It was default because of my family as guides and leaders, default because of my area, and default because no one ever asked.
  3. Jeff's mom admitted to him that she was a lesbian, Jeff gave up on God and rebelled. He stated that this rebellion was like drinking salt-water and never quenching your thirst. Have you ever tried to quench a thirst bu realized you were at the wrong source? 
    1. Tough.. is this literal or spiritual? haha spiritually yes, twice actually. The first time was when I was dating my ex-boyfriend. This was near the end of our relationship and we were having a difficult time working out what was going on with him (sudden severe onset of OCD) and my feelings and stress. I searched out my pastor, my campus minister's wife, books, parents, my spiritual mentor. Anything to re-amp my commitment to him. However, I would come away more depressed and confused as ever. The thirst for happiness and being loyal in a relationship was never quenched until I had said my final good-bye (a three month process). I finally found peace and joy in the solitude, being with God, and now focusing on small groups and friends. The second time was during my internship at NY, I visited one church and one church only, I could not form a church family there and i desired to have one even for the three months i was visiting. I figured skyping with friends, talking about the bible with my fiance (at that time boyfriend), and bible time with my best friend would satisfy the physical support from a church family. It did not, i simply pushed through those three months until I moved to Toledo to begin gradschool. 
  4. Why is the fear of silence the greatest fear for many in our culture, especially young adults? 
    1. I challenged my fiance to spend 5 mins a day for week in silence. I sadly got three out of seven days of silence in. Its a discipline worth developing though. Just sitting in utter silence on the couch, emptying my mind, its freeing and refreshing. The fear comes from the uncomfortable-ness we get. We are bombarded with noise. TV, youtube, snap chats (though not noise distraction from our thoughts), music in the stores, music while we study, etc. The fear I think comes from the uncomfortable-ness of silence. Whether from awkwardness of doing nothing, the feeling that you MUST be doing something or the fear of thoughts that may come into your head. The thoughts of a broken undealt with past and resulting present moment. I think the fear of silence varies for each person. Mine: the amounts of tasks on my to-do list ready to be tackled.
  5. Have you ever interpreted the Bible as a love letter? 
    1. Yes, multiple times and in many different fashions. Honestly, I have never literally read the bible and thought of it as a love letter, but through use of other books, works of art, poems, fad sayings, I saw the bible as a love letter. I saw Jesus as the beautiful, peaceful, loving holistic/hippe Jesus (which not BAD and false just not entirely an accurate picture), and was unmotivated by reading the bible itself. Any romantic girl looking for love through a man would accept any book or passage that enforced the idea of Jesus being the lover of a life-time as a prince writing letters to you. 
  6. Describe the real Jesus.
    1. My first reaction.... Can I? Do I really know the real Jesus? This book just took the man Jesus I thought knew and created an image of a military Sargent preparing his troops for a battle. The focus on seeing the world for what it is and the sin that exist and our assignment to show people how this force is more amazing and fulfilling than any other methods to quench a thirst is my current image. So honestly I am not confident in describing the real Jesus.
  7. The author stated that Christianity has become a financial industry. In what ways have you experienced this. Have you ever experienced Christianity rising above the consumer-driven culture?
    1. CHRISTMAS TIME! the most consumer-ed filled holiday marked by decorations arriving in October, and meeting the "dreams of your child" for the best overly hyped up morning on which Jesus was born in a manger in a feeding trough probably, covered in hay and dirt. (How sanitary) 
    2. Have I experienced the true meaning of Christianity rising above consumer culture? The Christmas store. Here the lady spent months and hours putting together a "shop" of donated new items for families who had very little could give their children a Christmas and be provided for. While this lady helped meet the desires of consumerism in some children, she met the needs of the families during a time of year when people are most focused on themselves. She made sure the families and those in need were of the utmost importance during this time of year sacrificing both time and money. Other than that, the time Christianity rises above consumerism is not during the holidays but in time of personal need I feel like.
  8. Have you ever been resistant to believing God's plan might include discipline for your life? How might God use trials to help you become more like Jesus.
    1. I have read the book The Good and Beautiful God, which emphasizes the use of disciplines to see who Christ is first before becoming more like Him. So I think it is true but that does not mean I am not resistant to discipline or events in order for growth.The disciples had trials and challenges, they left everything for Jesus! That takes discipline to stay focus and committed to a life-changing experience even before you truly understood who Jesus was. 
    2. My friends and I laugh about God teaching us patience through the use of challenges, people, and events in which patience is needed for the best possible outcome. Trials vary from person to person because God's revelation through a trial or event is personal. 
  9. Why do Christians focus more on supposed acts of righteousness rather than the needs of others?
    1. My first thought, laziness and pride. What  is easier? to put someone down and raise yourself up in successes by words, or to use your time, energy and money to assist someone in need. Actually I heard from a friend (who read from Screwtape Letters, C.S Lewis) that the demons convince people to give to those in other countries so they feel they are helping people but it only causes more hate between neighbors because of the personal connection. Idk if I did that justice.... I can honestly say that I have avoided contact with some friends due to the needs they have and the possibility of me spending my time and energy to help them if asked... that was more laziness. Pride comes when you see yourself as above others and others need correction not help.
This is not a study question but one I discovered. Jeff stated that Jesus is coming to make war!! Does this change or support your current view of Jesus?
     I feel this image could actually support the personality and who God is in the OT and NT! There is a spiritual warfare going on and I have only scratched the surface of the seriousness and extend of this war... This has changed my view of who Jesus is greatly as I mentioned in a previous question.

This book will be a wonderful eye opener, and learning tool for me.

"There is so much freedom and life in no longer defending or molding Jesus to our own liking, and just letting him be who he says he is--a cultural iconoclast who makes it difficult for any of us to put him in our nice, cute, and tidy 'Christian' box."



3/7/14 EDIT: So I driving a lovely 7.5 hour drive to my fiance's apartment and I thought about this post. How confusing it is to think of Jesus as a military leader but not one focused on rules....The military is all about doing, and doing it 100% accurate. I was thinking more in the sense of a military or boot camp sargent training people for battle. While actions are graded and judged, I feel Jesus and God provides these training opportunities to grow and develop us. It is NOT easy, it should NOT be a relaxed task, but ultimately you will be "graded" on whether you have accepted Jesus into your heart and believe that he was the perfect and ONLY sacrifice for your sins. And if you passed that portion of the test then Boot Camp (though tough and painful) will end with an A+ (or however they grade, judge people).

Idk if that clears up my point or only dirties the water further...

No comments:

Post a Comment