Oct 17, 2012

Presidential Debates and Isaiah

Isaiah 61:1-2, The Spirit of the sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives, and release from darkness the prisoners to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor and the day of vengeance of our God to comfort all who mourn...

For those who watched the 2nd presidential debate, you may have the same feelings/thoughts as I do. Both provided ambiguous answers, both at times avoided the issue completely, and both have made promises out of their control! Overall the debate provoked a wide varitey of feelings and none of which were happy, hopeful feelings. Feelings of worry, hurt, confusion, anger, disgust, and most of all frustration. Both Canidates did not provide me with the answers I wanted to hear. Not that I wanted them to agree with me, no I wanted straight forward answers no matter what they were. Both provided history and broad/vague plans that will make America look like a growing country, a country of "opportunity."

My definition of voting currently: Choosing a person for a form of office, in which you have hope that this person will do something.

I wonder how selfish this can be though? As people, when we vote, what are we looking for? More security in our future? Ways to increase the money in our pockets? ending future wars? changing policies foreign or domestic? reforming health care? Some sound like great motivation, some I wonder about selfish desires. I want the government to do this for me!I deserve this! Do we really?

Oky back to Isaiah. My friend Kendra suggested to me (as a way to help me grow in my relationship with Christ) that we meditate on a scripture for one week, every morning and every night and see how it related to our day or what God may show us. So I did after the debate I pulled out my notecard with the verse mentioned above and then God spoke to me!  Here is an excerpt of my journal from late last night, while ideas and thoughts rushed around in my head:

IDK who to vote for! I was frustrated that there is no clear choice for me, Thankfully I see my role! God, You dont want me to bogged down by politics but to understand You. That wisdom from Your Spirit will guide me. You want me to focus on showing people how You are the only one who can bring true joy in this time, You are the only one who can take the darkness of the future (gun policy, wars, economy, job loss, lies, deciet, manipulation) and turn them into hope and light by directing our attention on You and our true purpose in life--serving others to show Your love.
Politicians avoid issues, God faces them directly. Politicians are limited in power and control, God has control and power over all. God is the Sovereign Lord! Politicians change their platforms, ideas, how they talk because of the public's view; God stays the same no matter the public's perception. God doesnt even have to DEFEND who He is, even when people hold misperceptions of Him! Politicians need to earn people's vote and hope, God does not need ppl's faith  and love to be God. He has changed countries by using one person! (Elijah, Judges) God is God and we are men, and His Spirit is on  me! The same amazing power that does not need approval of others is on me! When a canidate said "Have hope in me" I felt worried, confused, uncertain as to where to place my hope. Now I know for certain: My hope and faith goes to the Holy Spirit inside of me which has a greater purpose than I will ever know and I am ready!

God, on of authority, You have chosen me to share the good news to Your creation, to free captives of political/earthly worries and show them the joy and hope that only comes from You! Let me be the official/ambassador that You want in your Cabinet!

No comments:

Post a Comment