Oct 12, 2012

History Repeats Itself when one has Dementia

UPDATE FROM SCHOOL: I still love Occupational Therapy! I love the creativeness of it, I love the purpose and reason behind it and I love ALL different populations you can work with as an OT!


Oky so I just started my level 1 fieldwork which is basically observation hours with a little assistance here and there for three days and about 4 hours each day. My placement for my 1st fieldwork experience is at a nursing home close to town. If I haven't already mentioned in past posts, my DREAM placement is with children in pediatrics. Idk yet if I want to focus on special needs, or rehab, or what but I love children. In short, I am not super motivated to learn during my fieldwork hrs. I have, however, enjoyed seeing how ROM, and the glenoscapular rhythm play a role in occupations like dressing, reaching, bathing, ect. Well today while shadowing an OT assistant, she gave me a book to read about dementia. I made a commitment to myself to read this book by Monday. My last day was Monday and I wanted to give her a good impression. I thought this commitment was possible over the weekend since the book was only 86 pages long and she said how it was an easy read. I did not realize that I would read this book in about an hour and enjoy it as fully as I did!

The book: The Past is Now My Future  By Lanny D. Butler, MS, OTR and Kari k. Brizendine, PT

This book is about the seven stages of dementia and the abilities the still remain in each person. I highly suggest everyone read this book if only to get a small understanding of what a person going through dementia experiences. With this understanding, i feel, comes patience.

One focus that stuck with me was the need to look at the individual's past to understand their current actions.  the book give a whole list of examples and how their past related to their actions. So I will leave that as a surprise. It was amazing to see and relate how our long term memory and what we have learned in the past for long periods of time/useage remains during the majority of the stages (up to stage 7). Questions relating to their history maybe: What did they find meaning in? What was their career? How did they get ready everyday? how did they shower? How did they get dressed? How did they toilet? How did they sleep in their bed? How is their kitchen set up? is the trashcan under the sink, in the cabinet or behind a counter? Understanding habits/routines like this bring comfort and feelings of validation to people with dementia which results in so many blessings such as longer independence (less work for the caregiver). This book has challenged me to consider all of my habits through out the day with the "My Way" form included in the book. I will not share this personal information with you (DUH!) But I will give you the list of questions and choices from the form. The purpose of this form is to actually have a copy hidden somewhere. When/ if you become cognitively impaired the form provides the caregiver more of an understanding of your habits (habits such as dressing, showering, toileting are done alone and no one takes note as to how you use the bathroom...).

  1. Sleep/Wake Cycle
    • Time I usually arise
    • Nap Times
    • Time I usually go to bed
    • Do I rely on a clock to wake me us?
      • What time of alarm clock?
    • My side of the bed is
  2. Self-Care Routines (number the activities in the order you typically do them after waking up)
    • Bathe
    • brush my teeth
    • comb my hair
    • apply make-up
    • dress
    • eat breakfast
    • make/drink coffee
    • feed pets/animals
    • take medications
    • watch TV
    • read the paper
    • Shave
    • journal, 
    • bible time
    • prayer
    • use the toilet
    • (other)
  3. Bathing (check those that apply)
    • Shower____Sponge Bath_____ Tub bath_____
    • Morning___Afternoon____Evening_____
    • Daily____Every other day____ once/week____Less than once a week____
    • Wash rag___ Sponge___ Other_________
    • I never use the same rag/sponge on face and groin/feet
    • I never wash my face with the same water I sit in
    • I brush my teeth in the shower
    • I shave in the shower
    • I bathe my bodily parts in this order (number them from first to last)
      • arms
      • feet
      • groin
      • back
      • hair
      • chest
      • face
      • legs
  4. Toileting (check ur preferences)
    • I do not use public restrooms
    • I use the bathroom immediately upon arising in the morning
    • I get up ___ times during the night to use the toilet
    • I dont believe in wasting toilet paper
    • I use lots of toilet paper
    • I fold the toilet paper neatly before I use
    • I shut the bathroom door before I use the toilet
    • I need to sit awhile before I go.
    • when I "get the urge" I have to go "NOW" 
    • I read while I sit on the toilet
    • I always stand when I urinate
  5. Dressing/Undressing (Check your preferences)
    • I sleep in the nude
    • I sleep in my underwear
    • I sleep in PJ's
    • I sleep in a nightshirt or nightgown
    • I stand when I dress
    •  I sit when I dress
    • I put my left/right arm into shirt-type garments first (pick a side)
    • When putting on shirt-type garments, I put both hands in together and slip it over my head.
    • I put my left/right foot into pants/skirts/ect first.
    • I put my left/right shoe on first
    • Females: I hook my bra in the front of my body and then turn it to the back
    • Females: i hook my bra in the back
    • Females: I dont wear a bra
    • Females: I wear nylons
    • Females: I always wear high-heeled shoes
    • Males: I wear jockey style/boxer underpants
  6. Eating (check what you like)
    • I never eat breakfast
    • I eat one food at a time and finish that food before i start another
    • I place my food in a particular arrangement on my plate (such as meat at 12oclock, veggies at 3 o'clock)
    • I feed myself with my left/right hand
    • I prefer to sip/drink liquids before/during/after my meal
    • I would gag if someone fed me
    • I cannot eat if someone near me chews with his/her mouth open.
  7. Occupation:
    • I worked outdoors
    • I worked indoors
    • Number of years in my occupation ___
    • Key elements of my job include:________--> 
  8. Leisure/Hobbies
    • I enjoy inside activities
    • I enjoy outside activities
    • I would rather participate in group activities
    • I would rather participate in individual activities
    • Circle your favorite type of activity: crafts, gardening, sports, reading, music, computer,drawing, building, fixing,TV, playing with animals, socializing
  9. Assistive Devices
    • Crutches
    • cane
    • walker
    • braces
    • splints
    • corrective shoes
    • wheelchair

No comments:

Post a Comment