Aug 17, 2010

Joni and Friends...idea...

Joni and Friends has stirred another idea into my head. Actually this idea first entered my human brain last year at Joni and Friends. Starting a disability ministry at a church. I should start by looking for churches with such a ministry. My old home church had one...Most ppl when talking about Churches don't mention such a ministry so looking for one might be hard. Is there one in my area of school? The I realized...what if there isn't one? Many students are going into PT,OT, and RT at my school...surely someone there has the same desire for following God's will. Maybe God is working on someone Else's heart about starting a disability ministry in the local area as well. The reason why I am wondering about someone being able to start such a ministry because I am not able (right?). I am only a sophomore at school. I have no training, no medical knowledge, (though is that really needed?) and no other contacts/networks... at least not yet... IDK how caregivers will feel about me (only early 19-25yr old) starting a group. How will the world feel about this group? Maybe I should figure out exactly what kind of ministry I want to start (if it really is God's will)


Definition of a chruch (to me): A group of believers gathering together in worship and love to God so that they are able to not only reach those lost but to support EVERYONE by giving of resources and time to glorify God. (of course this is MY view of a church...I should probably re-evaluate my definition to match with verses from the bible...)

I picture a ministry with a small group class specifically for people who have a disablility (ppl making friends with others facing the same issues, not just medical), the same ministry should be able to provide resources to families and others. The church needs to be loving to EVERYONE! think of the poor mother who can not find a loving church home because of her son with autism creating disturbances. Think about how hard it is for the torn family with out a support of others even if the others do not truly know what it is like to have a member with a disabliity.

But then doubt sets in. I am so young... yet I want to. IV has been giving me the tools to start a small group... But is that enough? What else is needed to start and hold a ministry together? People who have experience. A missions ministry doesnt really do its job unless a missionary or someone who was once highly involed in missions is behind the sences right?

I have to be patient and in constant prayer about this. Maybe God has someone on this mission. Idk its just another thought as I enter another season of my life. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment