Apr 18, 2012

Heading North... and missing South.

Im set. I know another part of my life will be spent....up north. New York for the summer and then Ohio for 2.5 years of more school!! So much I could write on this so here are some short note
a) its amazing how God works/provides for us in the littlest of details (placement of acceptances for internships and OT school)
b)I HATE THE COLD!!! So, like a bird, I will be heading south (Fl) for winter break.
c) I'm curious about culture in the north versus the south....

SOooo my amazing boyfriend came with me to visit my internship up in NY by lake Erie. A 10 hour drive took us 13 hours. Our first night we decided to go out to eat somewhere nice. We drove around and couldn't find a decent sit-down restaurant and I decided I'll go in and ask someone in a movie store. I'm gong to be honest, I went in thinking about the steriotypes placed on NY-ers...rude, rushing around, not really wanting to stop and help ppl....well that wasnt the case at all! I asked one of the workers at the front and then a sweet lady jumped in to give suggestions as well! then another man made a suggestion! By the end of talking with the store clerk and the lady we had (in our minds) directions to this one restaurant and the store's number in case we get lost. SO SWEET!! I kinda felt like skipping out of the store haha (i think i did...)

SO we arrive at the restaurant and as the waitress led us to our table and was placing the menus down were she anticipated our placement of booties, my Bf came over to my side to pull out my chair. This really confused the waitress and she tried to quickly rearrange the menus thinking we were sitting side-by-side. Then my Bf went across the table (after I sat down) to take his seat which confused the waitress even further so she picked up the menus and waited till he sat down. She was in shock! not that extreme... "I have never seen that before while working here!" almost like a man pulling out a chair for a lady was unheard of. I think she loved it and thought it was cute. After such an event we were very sociable with her and talked about the area and so forth. I told my bf multiple times how much I'm going to miss his chivalry and manners over the summer! Well that night started my awareness on southern and northern cultural differences which I hope discuss as soon as I move up there in May! 

No comments:

Post a Comment