Mar 18, 2013

Wanting to be an OT when not an OT

What is attached above is a lecture I attended on Valentine's Day. Amy Lamb, Vice President of AOTA, led a motivating discussion on the politics and changes of OT, what our role is during this changing time and what our roles can be in the future. I will talk about two of the points mentioned in the lecture based off of what I remember.

As an OT we need to get involved in political or financial aspects of our facility or hospital. This includes being active, not passive. Contact legislators and have your opinions heard. Network within your facility (especially if you work in a hospital) and attend meetings regard the Affordable Care Act. This takes effort, time, energy, but for my beliefs and my ideas, I find it worth it. I want to be involved as a leader one day. Not simply an OT.

Point number two: Occupational Counselor! Not a real position but a possibility for one! I heard about this and was excited and motivated! Due to the time constraints on doctors, they simply give out diagnosis (Dx), explain the health implimcations and exit the room, leaving the patient to look up facts (however disturbing) on their smart phones. How stressful and scarey! Questions that may arrise in a client' head include: How iwll this affect me? Can I still work? Will I be able to take care of my kids? What will change? How will I change? Will I need extra help in the house? Can i still live at home? I feel this stress is unneeded! As OT's we have the know-how to hear the diagnosis and walk into the room and say, I am here to tell you all you need to know to go home to still be you whether you are a loving mother, a hard working employee, or a child. We can go in and say to a patient Dx with Multiple Sclerosis, "Here are the different patterns of relapse and remission. Lets discuss ways to prevent relapse, ways to take care of yourself, and ways to still be able to fulfill your current roles. Just because you are Dx with this does not mean you are not cable of doing." Unlike doctors, an OT can take time to get to know the patient's life, their functional needs, see what level of therapy is needed currently, discuss methods and techniques that will assist with decreased energy levels, decreased strength, decreased self-esteem/mood, increased pain, or increased risk for falls. Just through discussion in a physician's office, I feel OT's can become the perfect counselor! By use of telecommunications (chat, e-mail, cellphones, skype, voovoo) the conversation does not have to stop for these clients until the next appointment!

Think about how you would react if you were...

awaken to find out you now have a seizure disorder

your doctor finally diagnosis the pain in your hands and knees and hips as rheumatoid arthritis

the eye doctor says you have myopia macular degeneration

You were just dianosised with Type 2 diabetes


Now what?! How would you feel? What questions would first arise in your heads? Where or who would you turn to first for information or support? Has this ever happened to you? If so please share. What do you think would have been most helpful for you during the initial Dx and for a time afterward?




No comments:

Post a Comment